Below are a few of the questions we receive on a regular basis. If you don’t see the answer to your questions here, call us at 260.399.8086.
- Do I have to be enrolled at the University of Saint Francis before I apply to the program?
- May I ever quit the TRiO program?
- Why doesn’t it cost me anything?
- Is admission to this program automatic?
- What do I do after I fill out an application?
- What is expected of me?
- Can I be in the TRiO program if I am an ACE student?
- What is a peer mentor?
- What is a peer tutor?
- Do I qualify?
- Why TRiO? I’m a good student.
Do I have to be enrolled at the University of Saint Francis before I apply to the program?
No, you can apply at any time. However, you cannot be accepted into the program until you are enrolled at USF.
May I ever quit the TRiO program?
This is a cohort-based program that works with you until graduation.
Why doesn’t it cost me anything?
The TRiO Student Support Services program is federally funded by the U.S. Department of Education with in-kind contributions from USF.
Is admission to this program automatic?
No, being in the TRiO program is a privilege. We can only serve a limited number of students.
What do I do after I fill out the application?
After we have received your completed application we will determine if you are a fit with the criteria of the program. You will receive a letter with the results of that decision and further instructions.
What is expected of me?
Students are required to use certain services based upon our assessment of their needs. We have a selective application process that includes an interview with program staff that assesses both need and ability to benefit. If accepted into TRiO, you will sign a contract and are expected to complete all of the terms of the contract.
Can I be in the TRiO program if I am an ACE student?
Yes, you may apply after you have enrolled (registered for classes) in a bachelor degree program at USF.
What is a peer mentor?
Peer mentors are upper classmen who mentor under classmen in the TRiO program. Peer mentors are mentored by TRiO and other USF staff.
What is a peer tutor?
Peer tutors are students who tutor other students in the TRiO program or as a part of SASS.
Do I qualify?
View the first page of the application to see if you qualify for the TRiO program. If you answer have a Pell Grant and/or you indicate that you are a first-generation college student and you identify academic need, complete the application and the attached Income Verification form (three pages). You can email the completed application firstname.lastname@example.org or print and complete the application and drop it off or mail it to the TRiO office, PJPII Suite 209, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Why TRiO? I’m a good student.
- TRiO offers a personalized scholarship program to simplify the scholarship process and make it more productive.
- Receive help with academic emergencies as they arise.
- TRiO monitors your grades monthly and helps as needed based on grade or suggestions from your professors.
- Receive academic counseling, career services and help finding summer jobs.
- Learn about managing money.
- Find out about jobs in your major.
- You’ll be mentored by upper classmen in the TRiO program who are mentored by TRiO and other USF staff.